Minimal Pain Recovery
Prior to undergoing cosmetic surgery, many of our patients express concern about how much pain they will have during recovery. To meet this concern, we have taken steps that work to minimise post-procedure pain.
While it is difficult to make any surgery completely pain free, we have succeeded in making our procedures very low pain. This allows patients to be comfortable from the moment the procedure is completed and our nurses take care of them in the recovery room, to when they continue their recuperation at home.
Our goal is to make post-procedure pain something akin to the soreness that accompanies a very strenuous workout at the gym.
These steps involve our plastic surgeon, anaesthetists, nurses, and patients all working together to minimise pain. Each of these individuals has a key role in working to minimise post-procedure pain.
CosmeticCulture’s express recovery begins well before surgery day, continuing through all aspects of surgery and recuperation at home. This phase takes the form of educating patients about the steps we will be taking to minimise pain. Once concerns are alleviated, patients continue the process toward surgery much more comfortably.
CosmeticCulture’s express recovery consists of these steps:
• Providing patient education before surgery.
• Giving patients prescriptions for pain relievers and anti-nausea medicines for their recuperation.
• Using an anaesthetist during every cosmetic procedure, to ensure patient safety and to administer pain and anti-nausea medications during the surgery.
• Performing all our cosmetic procedures in a hospital setting, to assure the highest standards in our patient care, safety, medications, sterility, lighting, and equipment.
• Employing extra-gentle tissue handling techniques during surgery, to minimise trauma and resulting pain.
• Applying long-acting local anaesthetics to surgical sites during the procedure, so pain centers are not stimulated during early recuperation.
• Communicating with patients when they first awake and giving pain medicine as soon as patients report discomfort – before the onset of any true pain.
• Remaining in close contact with patients during their recuperation, to make certain any discomfort is controlled – and altering pain medicines if necessary
Patient response to CosmeticCulture’s Express Recovery has been excellent. It is important to stress, however, that even though patients may have very little pain following surgery they must still limit their physical activities so their recovery can proceed without complication.
This is used to help patients who undergo such surgical procedures as tummy tucks or breast surgery, which include the creation of scars as part of the surgery.
When patients decide to undergo cosmetic surgery, one major concern is the possibility of unsightly scarring. All surgery involves some scarring, but the risk of thickened or raised scars is often greater for those with a family or previous history of scarring and those with darker coloured skin. Risks also can be increased when surgery is performed on the torso such as in tummy tucks or on the breasts for breast lifts or breast enlargements.
At CosmeticCulture we strongly believe in the concept of a proactive approach to scar intervention and minimisation, integrating the work of our plastic surgeon to provide a comprehensive approach to minimising scarring.
During surgery, our plastic surgeon uses meticulous techniques and very fine sutures to minimise tension on wounds – to limit the formation of unsightly scars right at the time of surgery. Next, we implement our unique post-operative program that includes the treatment of surgical incisions with various other modalities over time to minimise scars. Some of these techniques include specialised tapes, gel sheets, and injections of medicines to help speed healing and diminish the appearance of scars. Where indicated, we also include newly developed, revolutionary, TGA approved topical medications to minimise scarring. This system can be used as part of our surgical plan, or as part of a scar revision procedure for people who already have unsightly scars.
With the Scar Less Programme, our mission is to aggressively treat post-surgical incisions in order to minimise scarring and maximise cosmetic appearance. This service is an integral part of our plastic surgery medical spa and laser centres and a commitment to our patients to provide unsurpassed medical care. This unique program is offered to our patients who undergo cosmetic surgery at our centres in the North Shore and western areas of Sydney.